How to Apply for a Library Card:
Obtaining a library card is easy and free of charge for all Crete Public Library District residents (including children over 5 or in kindergarten). A parent or legal guardian must sign and be responsible for cards held by children under the age of 18. Legal guardians must show proof of guardianship.
Card applicants most provide 2 forms of identification with their current Crete street address on them. One of the identification must be a picture ID.
Acceptable Photo Identification: Please provide 1 (one) from this group:
- Driver’s Licenses/State ID – Must reflect current Crete address and be valid
- Passport – Must reflect current Crete address and be valid
- Military ID – Must reflect current Crete address and be valid
- FOID Card – Must reflect current Crete address and be valid
- Resident (Green Card) – Must reflect current Crete address and be valid
Acceptable Proof of Residency: Please provide 1 (one) from this group:
- Currently Utility Bill – Electric/Gas/Water – Must Be Within 30 Days & reflect current Crete address
- Tax Bill – Must Be Within 6 months & reflect current Crete address
- Mortgage Statement/Lease Agreement – Must reflect current Crete address
- Bank Statement – Must Be Within 30 Days & reflect current Crete address
- Unemployment Statement/Payroll Stub – Must Be Within 30 Days & reflect current Crete address
- Voter’s Registration Card – Must Be Within current year & reflect current Crete address
Cardholder responsibilities are outlined on the application form. If you have questions, please contact Patron Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (708) 672-8017.
With a Crete Library Card You Can:
- Check out materials to take with you to enjoy.
- Access the online catalog 24/7 to search for items, place holds, and request items through interlibrary loan.
- Download free eBooks, audio books, and magazines to your eReader, computer, MP3 player or other device from our website (borrowing and renewal guidelines apply).
- Access a wide variety of online research and information databases through our website.
- Exercise borrowing privileges at more than 75 public libraries in the SWAN (System Wide Automated Network) system, including Park Forest, Steger-South Chicago Heights, Chicago Heights and Homewood. (For a complete list, stop by or call the library.) Borrowing, renewal, and late fees vary by library. Please refer to individual library policies.
Report a Lost or Stolen Card
You are responsible for all items borrowed on your card. Report a lost, missing or stolen library card immediately by calling (708) 672-8017. There is a $2 fee to replace a lost, missing or stolen card if it is not expired. There is no cost to replace or renew an expired library card.
How to Obtain a Chicago Public Library Card
Your Crete Library card gives you borrowing privileges at many public libraries in Illinois. Chicago Public Libraries are an exception. If you have a Crete Library card in good standing (no fees or other charges pending), you are eligible to apply for a Chicago Public Library card. When you complete the Chicago Public Library card application, they will call the Crete Library to verify your status. For more information, please contact Patron Services at email@example.com or call us at (708) 672-8017.