Welcome to the Crete Public Library District. We serve the Village of Crete and most of Crete Township. Library District residents have free access to a wide variety of materials and online resources with their library cards. Our well-trained and friendly staff is here to assist you.
We are a member of the RAILS Library System and the SWAN Database Consortium, which provide an online catalog allowing our card holders to borrow from the Crete Library as well as more than 70 other public library collections through Interlibrary Loan!
The seeds of the Crete Library were planted in 1929, when a small collection of donated books was made available to the public at a public school library. In the early 1960s, the first stand-alone location was in the historic home of Dr. Charles Blim, at the northeast corner of North and Benton Streets. With a staff of one, it was open just 14 hours a week.
In February 1985, a referendum led to our becoming an official Library District, moving out from under the Village umbrella. A second successful referendum brought all unincorporated areas of Crete into the Library District. Our current building was dedicated on May 2, 1996.
Click here for an excerpt of our interesting history from Crete Remembered: a Glimpse of the Early Days of Crete Illinois, Vol. 5, by Carol Triebold & Phyllis Monks.